Easy Sauce Recipes is an Amazon Associate and may receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
My delectable Buttermilk Chicken Marinade creates the juiciest, most tender chicken recipes! Complete with a balanced seasoning blend and rich buttermilk, this is the perfect chicken marinade recipe. Ready in just a few minutes using simple ingredients.
- Buttermilk Marinade for Chicken
- Buttermilk Marinated Chicken Ingredients
- How to Marinate Chicken in Buttermilk
- Chicken Buttermilk Marinade Tips
- Marinating Chicken in Buttermilk Ahead of Time
- Can buttermilk marinated chicken be frozen?
- Buttermilk Chicken Marinade FAQs
- More Marinade Recipes
- Best Sauces for Chicken
- 📌 Pin it for later!
- 📖 Recipe
- 💬 Reviews
Buttermilk Marinade for Chicken
Chicken that has been brined in buttermilk is incomparably tender and juicy, and I guarantee once you try it you will want to make it this way every time!
The seasoning mix included in the brine brings out the best flavor in the chicken while keeping it irresistibly moist. I love using this buttermilk chicken brine for roasted, grilled, or pan-fried chicken. My family always wants seconds!
If you're looking for a new way to cook chicken or have trouble getting chicken to that perfect tenderness, try buttermilk brined chicken using this recipe. It is a game-changer!
Buttermilk Marinated Chicken Ingredients
- Buttermilk - see How to Make Buttermilk if you have none on hand
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Sea salt
- Ground cumin
- Maple syrup
How to Marinate Chicken in Buttermilk
- In a sealable bag large enough to fit the amount of chicken you plan on marinating, add garlic, salt, cumin, black pepper, and olive oil. Seal the bag, then use your hands to crush the garlic cloves from the outside, being careful not to break the bag.
- Add buttermilk, then the chicken. Seal the bag again and move everything around from the outside to make sure all parts of the chicken are covered with the liquid. Rest the bag in a deep plate or pan to catch anything that might leak, and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator overnight.
Chicken Buttermilk Marinade Tips
- Marinate the chicken at least overnight for the best results. Chicken can marinate in buttermilk for up to 48 hours. After that, it will become too soft.
- If you want to serve keto chicken, leave the maple syrup out of the marinade.
- Crushing the garlic when it is in the bag already ensures any flavor released from the garlic goes directly into the marinade, so I don't recommend crushing it before adding it.
- Be sure to marinate chicken in the bag within a deep plate, pan, or bowl. You do not want the chicken to leak in your refrigerator!
Marinating Chicken in Buttermilk Ahead of Time
You can prepare buttermilk marinated chicken ahead of time by either cooking the recipe through completely, then storing and serving it later, or marinating it for up to 2 nights before cooking it.
Buttermilk marinated chicken that has been cooked is good for up to 3 days when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Can buttermilk marinated chicken be frozen?
Buttermilk marinated chicken can be frozen, but it is best frozen uncooked, as reheating cooked chicken that has been frozen can cause it to dry out.
To freeze buttermilk marinade with chicken, place the uncooked chicken in the marinade in an airtight container or freezer bag, label it with the date, and store for up to 1 month.
When ready to cook, thaw overnight in the refrigerator (place a plate, bowl, or sheet under the chicken so it doesn't leak), then cook as desired.
Buttermilk Chicken Marinade FAQs
Buttermilk is slightly acidic, which means it tenderizes chicken when used as a marinade by breaking down the muscle fibers of the meat. When marinated for at least overnight in buttermilk, chicken becomes especially tender and soft.
You can soak the chicken in buttermilk for up to 48 hours, although overnight is plenty of time. If you're in a hurry, marinate chicken in buttermilk for at least 30 minutes out of the refrigerator.
More Marinade Recipes
- Asian Marinade for Chicken
- Grilled Chicken Breast Marinade
- London Broil Marinade
- Spicy Chicken Marinade
- Also try my Ham Bone Broth!
Best Sauces for Chicken
📌 Pin it for later!Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
Did you try this recipe? Let us know what you think below with a comment and rating! We love to hear from you.
Buttermilk Chicken Marinade
- 1 large sealable plastic bag
- 1 deep pot, pan, or plate
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic peeled but not crushed
- ½ Tablespoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1 Tablespoon sea salt or 1½ teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- In a sealable bag large enough to fit the amount of chicken you plan on marinating, add garlic, salt, cumin, black pepper, and olive oil. Seal the bag, then use your hands to crush the garlic cloves from the outside, being careful not to break the bag.¼ cup olive oil, 2 cloves garlic, ½ Tablespoon black pepper, 1 Tablespoon sea salt, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- Add buttermilk, then the chicken. Seal the bag again and move everything around from the outside to make sure all parts of the chicken are covered with the liquid. Rest the bag in a deep plate or pan to catch anything that might leak, and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator overnight.2 cups Buttermilk