Easy Sauce Recipes is an Amazon Associate and may receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
Learn How to Make Buttermilk using just two simple ingredients! If you've ever had buttermilk pop up in a recipe, you may have wondered, 'well, what do I do now?' It's easy to make homemade buttermilk so you don't have to run out and get any extra ingredients, and it only takes a couple of minutes!
So many of my favorite recipes, like my smothered pork chops with Onion Gravy, use buttermilk in the ingredients...but even I don't always have buttermilk on hand! The good news is, if you learn how to make buttermilk at home, you will discover how easy it is to do.
Buttermilk is one of the most simple things to mix at home and use as an ingredient in all kinds of sauces and even salad dressings (like my Buttermilk Ranch Dressing, for example!).
Now that I know how to make buttermilk at home, I rarely buy it - I guarantee you will already have the ingredients on hand and find yourself doing the same any time you need it!
Buttermilk Recipe FAQs
Buttermilk is fermented milk that is notably thicker than regular milk with an acidic smell and tart flavor somewhat like yogurt. To make homemade buttermilk, you can add an acidic element to regular milk.
If you're using vinegar to make buttermilk, plain distilled white vinegar is the best option for its neutral acidic flavor and lack of additional unwanted flavorings.
- Milk - any kind you wish to use, I use whole or 2%
- Vinegar - distilled white vinegar works best - OR use lemon juice
You can use either vinegar or lemon juice to make buttermilk. I prefer to use distilled white vinegar for its neutral flavor, but lemon juice works perfectly as well.
How to Make Buttermilk
- Add milk and vinegar to a bowl (or jar, if storing) and mix well.
- Use immediately in recipe, or store for later use.
What to Make with Buttermilk
Buttermilk can be used in everything from sauces to baking recipes. I use it in...
- my onion gravy recipe for Smothered Pork Chops,
- buttermilk ranch dressing for Grilled Chicken Salad,
- making Buttermilk Roast Chicken,
- in the batter for Fried Oysters
And as a base for even more sauces, such as:
- Buttermilk pasta sauce - use it in place of milk or cream
- White sauce using buttermilk
- Alfredo sauce using buttermilk
How long is buttermilk good for?
Homemade buttermilk lasts in the refrigerator in an airtight container for about 2 weeks. Store it in the coldest part of the refrigerator, such as the very back, and not on the door shelves.
You can also freeze buttermilk for up to 3 months. To account for liquid expansion when you freeze it, make sure you leave at least ½-inch of space at the top of the container. If you want to freeze it in portions, freeze it in an ice cube tray first.
More Easy Sauce Recipes
Try even more easy sauce recipes here:
📌 Pin it for later!Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
Did you try this recipe? Let us know what you think in the comments below or send us an email! We love to hear from you.
How to Make Buttermilk (2 Ingredients)
- 1 bowl or jar
- 1 cup milk - I recommend whole or 2%
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar - use distilled white vinegar, or lemon juice
- Mix milk and vinegar together in a bowl.1 cup milk, 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- Add to a jar to store or use immediately.